|Canadian Heritage Gallery|
|Structures||Click on the thumbnail to view the image, and for information about ordering reproductions.|
|de La Salle-2 Robert Cavalier de La Salle reviewing the
construction of a masonry stronghold in 1675, which he named Fort Frontenac. By J.D.
|Palisaded Village A European rendition, as part of a published
1720 map of French America, of a Iroquoian palisaded village (with a palm tree).
|The Castle The Castle, or Chateau, at Fort Niagara, was built in
1725-1749 by the French and later captured by the British in 1759.
|Fort Toronto Fort Rouille (Toronto), 1749.
|Toronto Fort Early French post at Toronto, erected in 1750-1751
but burned in 1759.
|Fort Frontenac The capture of French Fort Frontenac, 1758, by
the British. Its loss cut off the French fort chain to the west. Engraving.
|Fort Frontenac A rough French sketch of Fort Frontenac, taken
by the British in August, 1758, at what is now Kingston, showing the Cataraqui River at its
meeting with Lake Ontario, where the fort was set.
|Fort Oswego Located on the south side of Lake Ontario, Fort
Oswego was originally built by the British in 1726, captured by Montcalm in 1756, reoccupied
and rebuilt by the British, and finally passed to the United States in the 1790s.
|Fort Mackinack Fort Mackinack, mid 1700s. Originally Fort
Michilimackinac, was one of the "lesser" British posts taken by Indian forces during
the resistance which began in 1763.
|Fort York, c. 1816 A stamp depicting Fort York, c. 1816. After
the founding of York in July 1793, the Rangers built a garrison base at the entry to Toronto's
|Queen's Rangers' Lodge Queen's Rangers' Lodge Room at the
Fort at York, Upper Canada, 1795. Print by W.J. Thomson.
|Click on the thumbnail to view the image, and for information about ordering reproductions.|
|Top of Page
Copyright © 1999 Canadian Heritage Gallery