|Canadian Heritage Gallery|
|Structures||Click on the thumbnail to view the image, and for information about ordering reproductions.|
|Grain Elevators Grain elevators at Pilot Mound, Manitoba, 1900,
on the Pembina branch of the C.P.R. south of Winnipeg.
|Terminal Grain Elevator A new terminal grain elevator, Saint
John, New Brunswick, early 20th century.
|Grain Transfer Transferring grain from the railroad to elevators
to waiting boats at the head of the Great Lakes.
|Grain Elevator Towers of the wheat-farming Canadian West,
prairie grain elevators were constructed at collecting-points along railway lines to store grain for
shipment to eastern and overseas markets, c. 1941. Watercolour by Walter
Joseph Phillips (1884-1963).
|Navy Hall Open air gathering of the Upper Canada Legislative
Assembly, Navy Hall, Niagara, 1792. Initially, there were sixteen member elected at least every
four years. Oil on canvas by Charles Walter Simpson (1878-1942).
|John G. Simcoe Lieutenant-Governor John Graves Simcoe in
Navy Hall, Newark (Niagara), Upper Canada, his residence after 1792.
|Lord Monck Sir Charles Stanley, Viscount Monck, and his
family at Rideau Hall, Ottawa. Lord Monck, Governor-General, played a statesmanlike and
diplomatic role in the making of a new Canadian Dominion.
|Osgoode Hall Osgoode Hall, Toronto, Ontario, c. 1870s, and still
|St. Lawrence Hall St. Lawrence Hall, Toronto, Ontario, c. 1885.
Built in the 1850s, more than 500 Reformers met in the Convention of 1859 and adopted a
federation project to re-make the union of the two Canadas.
|Navy Hall Navy Hall, 1893. In 1765 it was used as naval
barracks, was enlarged during the Revolutionary War, and also became Upper Canada's first
Parliament building. Pencil drawing by F.H. Granger, 1893.
|Click on the thumbnail to view the image, and for information about ordering reproductions.|
|Top of Page
Copyright © 1999 Canadian Heritage Gallery